Design a site like this with
Get started


Looking For A Divorce Lawyer in Jamaica W.I.?

We understand that when a marriage breaks down, dealing with the separation process can be difficult

Outline of the divorce proceedings in Jamaica West Indies

Divorce Attorneys in Jamaica West Indies.

Filing for a Divorce in Jamaica W.I.? Did you know that apart from dealing with the emotional effects from the breakdown of your marriage, that there may also be issues surrounding the division of your financial assets and the children produced by the marriage?

We are a specialist and international family law firm, advising clients that got married in Jamaica. We have a very people–orientated approach to working with all of our clients, and our team has a wide range of skills and expertise. 

Our team of Family Law Attorneys in Jamaica have many years’ of experience, providing support and advice to families on all issues involving separation, child custody. Our reputation within the Jamaican market is second to none.

Clients praise our firm for our being with them every step of the way. We will deal with your situation with sensitivity and discretion, providing the highest standards of professional representation. Using our extensive skills and knowledge, we can help you to get your life back on track.

File the Petition

After filing the petition in the Jamaican courts, it will take some time before it is brought back to the attorney for service on the respondent. This process is delayed because of the inclusion of a step that demands the court’s registrar to access the documentation before signing and stamping. However, this step is not a requirement by the Matrimonial Proceedings Rules.

Even when the document is error-free, it may not take less than one month to get signed. If errors are spotted, it might take longer since the document might have to be refiled.

Our Family Law Solicitors in Jamaica are waiting on your call.

Divorce without legal advice can impact your future and your children’s future

Frequently Asked Questions

Need to speak with us? Click the button to send us a message using our chatbot.

Apply for Decree Nisi in Jamaica

Suppose the respondent doesn’t dispute the request within 14 days after being served with the petition. In that case, the petitioner can table an application to acquire the first order regarding annulment, also known as the decree nisi.

The application is then submitted to the jury for consideration without any form of hearing. Though this process seems straightforward, the application can take at least six months before it is presented to a jury, further delaying the process.

Speak with our Family Law Attorneys by contacting us today.

Jamaican Divorce Laws

Going through a separation is a stressful and challenging process which can physically and mentally affect the husband, wife, and children. It’s best to think of this as a process rather than an event, that will influence your life.

Child Maintenance

Need information on child maintenance in Jamaica? 

Usually when a marriage breaks down and there are children involved then the husband or wife is likely to be the one that the children will live with, and the other will have contact with the children.

Marriage Laws

Did you know that the Jamaican law relating to the formation and dissolution of marriage is derived from English Law?

Visitors to Jamaica can be married 24 hours after arriving in the island providing that prior application has been made for a marriage license.

Apply for Decree Absolute

Once the Decree Nisi is granted, the petitioner has to wait for six weeks before he or she can apply for the final order known as decree absolute. Like decree nisi, decree absolute is also presented before the jury for assessment though it’s not subject to a hearing. It can take an average of two months for the application to be presented before the jury in the Jamaican court.

Things To Consider When Filing For A Divorce In Jamaica W.I.

How long have you been married?

Generally, you should have been married for at least 2 years before you can petition the Jamaican court for a dissolution of marriage. Under special circumstances that you should be able to justify, you may apply to the Jamaican court for permission to file for a Decree Absolute before the 2 years has elapsed. 

How long have you been separated?

You must be separated for at last 1 year from your husband or wife before you can apply for divorce in Jamaica W.I. That 1 year period of separation could have occurred within the first year of marriage, and a couple can also be considered while living under the same roof.

Every case is different and you may not necessarily have to show up for the court hearing.

Have you attempted reconciliation & counselling?

It is advisable to explore the options of counselling and attempts for reconciliation before filing the petition as the court is entitled to ask you these questions. 

Did marriage produce any children?

This will be one of the first questions that our lawyers will ask you. If you have children who are under 18 or 21 years of age, and they are attending a tertiary institution, then the Jamaican court will only grant the Dissolution of Marriage if the judge is completely satisfied that adequate arrangements have been put in place for the care of the children. Questions will arise regarding the school arrangements & maintenance, living accommodations of the children when this assessment is being made.

Are you entitled to file your petition in the Jamaican court?

Petitions will only be entertained by the Supreme Court of Jamaica where either party is domiciled in Jamaica, a Jamaican national, or ordinarily residing in Jamaica for at least 1 year immediately preceding the presentation of the application.

Speak with our Family Law attorney by contacting us today

What is the reason for your separation?

You no longer need to prove to the Supreme Court of Jamaica that your spouse caused the breakdown of the marital relationship through cruelty, desertion, infidelity, etc. However, you must satisfy the Jamaican court that the marriage has broken down beyond repair and that there is no possibility that cohabitation will resume. You will be required to briefly state the reason for ending the marriage to establish these facts.

Do you have an original Marriage Certificate?

The original marriage certificate will be needed to be presented to the Court when the application is made for the Decree Nisi. If this is misplaced then you will have to apply for a certified copy.

Speak with our Family Law Attorneys about the legal process by contacting us today.

The Supreme Court of Jamaica has unlimited original jurisdiction in civil and criminal cases in Jamaica West Indies.


Below are frequently asked questions about Divorcement in Jamaica West Indies
How much does a divorce cost in Jamaica
The average cost for starts from $80,000. The cost will be influenced by the complexity of your case , your attorney and the residing country of you and/or your spouse. getting the Decree Absolute has been known to take a minimum 9 months in Jamaica.
How can I get a Speedy Divorce in Jamaica?
There is no such thing as a Speedy Divorce in Jamaica. The entire process can take a minimum of 9 months. #1 – File the Petition. Once filed, the petition will take a few weeks before it’s returned to the attorney for service on the respondent. #2 – Decree Nisi Application #3 – Decree Absolute Application
I got married in Jamaica how do I get divorced?
Before any of the parties can apply, they must be married for a minimum of 2 years and must have lived separate & apart for a minimum of 1 year* before application can be made. A certified copy of the Marriage Certificate will be required.
Is it better to get a lawyer for divorce?
If you and your spouse can come to an agreement on all terms, then filing for an uncontested divorce without the help of a lawyer will be possible. Nevertheless it is always advisable to have an attorney look through your agreement just to ensure that your interests and rights are protected. Your search for Speedy Divorce Lawyers Jamaica is now over. Contact us today. * There are exceptions to this.